Fitness for Work Form

Sick Certification

If you have been off work for seven days or less you do not require a doctor’s note.  Your employer may require you to complete a self-certification form called an SC2 which is available from the HMRC website here:

You can download a template letter to give to your employer to explain the doctor does not need to give you a note for absences of seven days or less.

Click HERE to download a template self-certification form.

If you are absent from work for more than 7 days, your employer may ask you to provide some form of medical evidence.  To obtain a medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’, you need to make an appointment to see the doctor.  Please remember the doctor cannot backdate your certificate, so you need to contact the surgery when you become unwell, and not once you have gone back to work.

If you require a repeat statement for an ongoing problem, you can request this through our online form here. 


Need a certificate following a hospital procedure?

If you need to be certified as unfit for work following treatment by a specialist the specialist should issue you with a Fit Note.   The Fit Note should cover the period they expect you to be unfit to work, or until your next contact with the specialist.

You should not need to see your GP to get a Fit Note following hospital treatment, unless your inability to work is unexpectedly prolonged.